Sunday, May 13, 2012

Conowingo Dam

The Conowingo Dam and Hydroelectric Plant spans the Susquehanna River in Maryland, 5 miles south of Pennsylvania and 10 miles north of where the river empties in to the Chesapeake Bay. The dam is one of the larges non-federal hydroelectric dams in the U.S. The dam is named for the town of Conowingo which had to be relocated as the original Conowingo is now under the waters of the reservoir created by the dam.

When completed in 1928 it was the second largest hydroelectric project by power output in the U.S., second only to Niagara Falls.


The dam also has 53 flood control gates operated by three overhead cranes which can be seen in the pictures. There has been a great deal of rain in the area as of late and I was hoping that at least a few of the gates would be open as I have been told it is pretty spectacular to see but alas – it was not to be.



This area is known for fishing, wildlife viewing in general and birding specifically especially during the winter months when over 100 of each bald eagles and great blue herons have been observed in the area. We saw one immature bald eagle and one great blue heron – both on the wing so no pictures - I'm not quick enough.

1 comment:

Lois said...

I had no idea about the birds. Next time I go visit my sister, I'm going up there and look for some bald eagles.