Monday, June 28, 2010

Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska

At the far western edge of Nebraska's Sand Hills is the town of Alliance.  The Sand Hills end very abruptly here and Alliance's only (to my knowledge) claim to fame is as the home of Carhenge.

Carhenge is a replica of England's Stonehenge. Carhenge is formed from vintage American cars all covered with gray spray paint. There are 38 cars arranged in a circle measuring about 95' in diameter. Some are held upright in pits and other form arches by the cars having been welded atop the supporting models. Carhenge replicates Stonegenge's current tumble-down state.



We can scratch this one off of our bucket list.

3 comments:

~Cheryl said...

I've seen pictures of this -- what a treat to experience it in person! :)

Lois said...

That is so funny! I don't know if you remember this or not Shelley, but my ex-husband Ray used to drive a blue Gremlin when we were in college. I haven't thought about that car in years!

Shelley said...

Lois,
Now that you mention it - I do remember. Thanks for the memory and the laugh.